Valerie Garcia Hong
Valerie represents professionals, small businesses, and corporate clients on business and professional liability issues. She also helps individuals who have suffered life changing injuries and wrongful death.
Based on her legal expertise and client-focused representation, Valerie has earned several awards throughout the years including “Super Lawyer” in San Diego by Super Lawyers Magazine, “Best of the Bar” by the San Diego Business Journal, and “Top Attorney” for Insurance Defense and Corporate Litigation by the San Diego Daily Transcript.
Valerie is active in her legal community. She was recognized by Filipino American Cultural Organization with the HIYAS Award for excellence in the law. Valerie has served on numerous professional organizations, including Past President and Board Member of Filipino American Lawyers of San Diego, Board Member of the Filipino American Chamber of Commerce – San Diego, and Board Member of Women of Color In The Law. She was also an Adjunct Professor at California Western School of Law where she taught litigation skills and professional responsibility.
Outside the practice of law, Valerie enjoys golfing and is the President of Ladies on Course, a San Diego women’s golf organization. She also serves on the Board of Trustees of Reading Legacies, a non-profit empowering youth through shared reading experiences.
Valerie obtained her law degree from Chicago-Kent College of Law and her Bachelor of Science in Journalism with Honors from the University of Illinois. Valerie was a judicial extern for Honorable Joan Lefkow in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Filipino American Lawyers of San Diego’s President’s Award for Outstanding Service (2009)
- San Diego Business Journal’s Best of the Bar 2014-2016
- Nominated for San Diego Daily Transcript’s Young Attorney Award (2008, 2011, 2012)
- San Diego Daily Transcript’s Top Attorneys Award 2013 for Corporate Litigation; Semi-Finalist for Insurance Defense
- San Diego Rising Stars 2015
- San Diego Super Lawyers 2016, 2017
- Filipino American Lawyers of San Diego, President (2010), Treasurer (2009), Board of Directors (2008, 2013, 2014, 2017)
- Filipino American Chamber of Commerce San Diego, Board of Directors (2013-2015)
- American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Inn, Inn No. 9, Barrister (2011-2013)
- Women of Color In The Law, Board of Directors (2017)
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., 2005)
- University of Illinois (B.S., 2001)
- Yee v. Cheung (2013) 220 Cal.App.4th 184
- Shaoxing City v. Keehn (2015) 238 Cal.App.4th 1031
Speaking Engagements +-
- San Diego Defense Lawyers, “Appellate Issues for the Civil Litigator” (2014)
- Women of Color in the Law, “Leaning In” (2014)
- North County Bar Association, “Creating and Preserving Your Case for Appeal: How, When, and Who to Object, Raise and Preserve Issues” (2013)
- Pan Asian Lawyers of San Diego, Filipino American Lawyers of San Diego, Tax Law Society, “Hanging Up Your Own Shingle – Tips for Solo Practioners” (2012)
- Diverse Women’s Task Force of Lawyers Club, South Asian Bar Association, “Challenges Minority Attorneys Face in the Workplace” (2012)
- Filipino American Chamber of Commerce – San Diego, “Pre-Litigation Strategies for Small Business Owners” (2011 and 2013)
- Thomas Jefferson School of Law, “Diversity and Building Bridges” (2011)