Grant D. Waterkotte
Grant D. Waterkotte is a shareholder at Pettit Kohn, and is licensed in California and Arizona. A highly accomplished trial attorney, Grant has tried over 30 cases to verdict in Maricopa, Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego, San Bernardino, Riverside, Ventura and Kern Counties. The vast majority of these trials were before a jury, where Grant has a 90% record of success. While Grant is primarily a defense attorney, he also handles plaintiff cases in certain situations. For instance, in 2017, he represented a wrongfully terminated employee and obtained the third highest age-discrimination jury verdict in California. Grant’s jury trial experience and exceptional results led to his induction into the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) in October of 2010, only nine years into his career. He also serves as a faculty member of the Jack Daniels‘ Los Angeles ABOTA Trial School.
Grant has a wide range of civil litigation and trial experience, primarily in the areas of retail liability, transportation law, employment law, representation of homeowners’ associations, and personal injury. Grant also provides employment and transportation consultation and legal drafting services for his corporate clients.
Grant was born in Orange, California. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Grove City College in Pennsylvania, where he graduated cum laude, and was honored as the “Most Outstanding Student in the Social Sciences.” He received his Juris Doctor degree from Washington and Lee School of Law in Lexington, Virginia. While there, he served as student body president, and the managing editor of the Environmental Law Digest.
Grant was selected for inclusion in the 2021 and 2022 Southern California Super Lawyers list as well as the Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars list in 2010-2015. Grant is licensed to practice law before all of the Federal District Courts of California and Arizona, the Ninth Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Southern California Super Lawyers 2021, 2022
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2010 – 2015
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Associate
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- International Law Society
- Jack Daniels’ Los Angeles ABOTA Trial School, Faculty Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Pi Gamma Mu Social Science Honor’s Society
- State Bar of Arizona
- State Bar of California
- Transportation Lawyers of America
- Washington & Lee Alumni Association
- Washington & Lee University School of Law (J.D., 2001)
- Grove City College (B.A., cum laude, 1998)
- A New Twist Complicating the Challenge of Assessing Lost Earnings Damages in Employment Suits, Los Angeles Business Journal – Employment & Labor (January, 2014)
Speaking Engagements +-
- Business & Legal Resources, Inc., “2020 FMLA Master Class: Arizona – Advanced Skills for Employee Management” (2020)
- DRI Retail and Hospitality Litigation Seminar, “The Evolution of Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation” (2017)
- Procedural Seminar, “Authoring the Winning Summary Judgment Motion” (2005)
- Mealey’s Retail Liability Conference, Las Vegas, “Defending Third Party Criminal Act Lawsuits (2004)