Joseph A. Sammartino
Joseph A. Sammartino is an attorney in Tucson, Arizona and San Diego, California, with a focus on civil business litigation. Joe has litigated civil lawsuits on behalf of major international companies and has also protected the rights of individuals in the United States. He has represented many of the largest insurance companies in the world in bad faith lawsuits, coverage disputes, and reinsurance disputes. Additionally, Joe has represented businesses and individuals in investor disputes, trade secret misappropriation litigation, and employment litigation.
His experience ranges from defending what was, at the time, the largest wrongful death lawsuit ever arising out of a personal watercraft accident to defending a major multinational corporation in a wrongful termination and retaliation lawsuit. He has also defended the second-largest furniture importer in the nation in a product liability matter.
Joe handles all aspects of litigation from pre-litigation demands, negotiations, and settlements through the filing of complaints, discovery, comprehensive motion practice, and depositions. He has served as the lead attorney in hundreds of depositions, mediations, and settlements. He has also tried cases to verdict in both state and federal courts, including appellate practice.
Joe has been selected as a San Diego Super Lawyers Rising Star for four consecutive years, 2015-2018. He was also selected as the Best Attorney in La Jolla by the La Jolla Light “Best of” Readers Poll for three consecutive years, 2016-2018.
He serves on the national Board of Directors for the Phelan-McDermid Syndrome Foundation. Since 2015, he has served as the president of the Board of Directors of Youth Tennis San Diego. Additionally, Joe is a member of the San Diego Rotary Club 33.
- La Jolla Light Best of La Jolla, Best Attorney 2016-2018
- San Diego Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2014-2018
- American Bar Association
- American Inns of Court, J. Clifford Wallace Chapter
- American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Chapter
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- The Bishop’s School Alumni Association
- Federal Bar Association
- San Diego County Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- University of San Diego (J.D., 2006)
- Georgetown University (A.B., 2003)
Speaking Engagements +-
- American Inns of Court, J. Clifford Wallace Chapter, “Implicit Bias” (January, 2015)
- California Alliance of Paralegal Associations Statewide Conference, “Corporate and Transactional Ethics” (June, 2014)
- San Diego Paralegal Association, “Legal Ethics for Paralegals” (April, 2013)