Matthew C. Smith
Matthew C. Smith has extensive experience in all aspects of civil litigation, including trials, arbitrations, and mediations. Matt represents individuals and business clients on a wide variety of professional and business litigation matters. He has served as lead counsel or co-counsel in more than a dozen trials and arbitrations. Matt also handled several successful appeals and has argued before the Fourth District Court of Appeal.
Matt earned his Juris Doctor from Washington & Lee University School of Law and his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Washington in Seattle, WA. While attending law school, Matt was awarded the American Bankruptcy Institute Medal of Excellence and won both the John W. Davis Moot Court Competition and the American Bar Association Negotiation Competition.
Matt’s primary focus is professional liability and business litigation matters. He is admitted to practice before all California State Courts and the U.S. District Court for the Southern & Central Districts of California.
- Best Lawyers in America 2021, 2022
- San Diego Super Lawyers 2021
- American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh, Barrister
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers of San Diego
- San Diego County Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- University of Washington Alumni Association
- Washington & Lee Alumni Association
- Washington & Lee University School of Law (J.D., 2000)
- University of Washington (B.A., 1996)
Speaking Engagements +-
- Association of Corporate Counsel All Day MCLE La-Law-Palooza, “Ethics for In-House Counsel: The Rules of Professional Conduct DO Apply” (2021)
- Association of Corporate Counsel MCLE Program, “Courts in a Pandemic: How COVID-19 is Affecting Litigation and Trials” (2020)
- Association of Corporate Counsel MCLE Program, “What You Don’t Know CAN Hurt You: The (New) Ethics Rules All In-House Lawyers Should Know” (2019)
- Association of Corporate Counsel Paralegal Program, “Professional Ethics That Paralegals Can Never Break” (2019)
- Tribal First/Alliant Specialty Insurance Services, Inc.,“Best Practices for Effective Claims Handling” (2017)
- Lorman Education Services, “Ethics in Litigation” (2005)
- 8th International Conference on Family Violence,“Ethical Issues and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Compliance” (2003)