Ryan H. Nell
Ryan H. Nell is an employment attorney responsible for representing California employers statewide in both counseling and comprehensive litigation support. With the ever-changing landscape of California and federal employment law, Ryan prides himself on assisting clients in staying ahead of the curve in an effort to avoid legal trouble before it arises. He has extensive experience representing clients in harassment, retaliation, and discrimination matters, as well as large-scale wage and hour lawsuits.
Ryan speaks regularly on a wide range of topics aimed at assisting California employers in the avoidance of legal trouble before it arises, and his work in the field has led to his recognition as a Rising Star by San Diego Super Lawyers.
Ryan graduated magna cum laude from the University of Illinois College of Law. While in law school, Ryan was a member of the Federal Civil Rights Clinic, representing clients in federal claims from inception through trial. He also served as an extern for the Los Angeles Superior Court and Illinois Office of the State’s Attorney, gaining extensive experience litigating claims on behalf of local governmental agencies. Before law school, Ryan attended the University of Southern California, where he was recognized as a Presidential Scholar and earned a degree in Political Science.
- San Diego Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2018, 2019
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- San Diego County Bar Association
- San Diego Defense Lawyers
- SDHR Forum
- State Bar of California
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude 2012)
- University of Southern California (B.A., 2009)
- Ryan Nell & Shannon Finley, “The Changing Landscape of California Employment Law: Adapting to the 21st Century Workforce,” 2016 Bender’s Calif. Lab. & Empl. Bull. 207 (June, 2016)
Speaking Engagements +-
- San Diego Society for Human Resource Management Legal + Strategic Insights Conference, “Confused by the Smoke: Medical Marijuana” (2019)
- HR Comply California, “Opioids & Marijuana in California: Employer’s Rights and Responsibilities When Hiring, Disciplining, and Termination” (2019)
- Professionals in Human Resources Association Legal Update Conferences – Anaheim, Riverside, Burbank, La Jolla, “Marijuana in the Workplace in California” (2019)
- San Diego Hospitality Forum, “Not Just a Cost of Doing Business: Avoiding Wage and Hour Lawsuits in the California Hospitality Industry” (2018)
- San Diego Society for Human Resource Management Law Day, “Elimination of Wage Disparities” (2018)
- Lawyers Club of San Diego, “Solutions Summit: Sexual Harassment Panel” (2018)
- SDHR Forum Legal Update, “California Commission Law & Paid Rest Breaks” (2018)
- HR Leaders Roundtable, “Happy People Don’t Sue” (2017)
- Disrupt HR, “Finding Hire Ground: Create a Thriving Workforce by Ignoring What Doesn’t Matter” (2017)
- San Diego Paralegal Association, “Bridging the Gap” (2017)