Shannon R. Finley
Shannon R. Finley obtained her Juris Doctor from the University of San Diego School of Law, where she received a merit scholarship upon entrance. While attending law school, Shannon served as an extern for the Honorable Peter C. Lewis, U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, and also for the California Attorney General’s Office in the Employment and Administrative Mandate Section. Shannon earned the CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Jurisprudence, Special Education and the Law, and State and Local Government. Additionally, Shannon served as the Senior Associate Editor and Symposium Chair of the San Diego International Law Journal, and as a research assistant to Professor Roy L. Brooks. Upon graduation, Shannon worked as a law clerk for the Honorable Dee D. Drell, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana (2013-2014).
Before law school, Shannon attended the University of California, Los Angeles, graduating cum laude, where she earned a dual Bachelor of Arts degree in History and in Classical Civilizations.
Shannon’s practice areas include employment & labor and retail matters.
- San Diego Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2019
- Lawyers Club of San Diego C. Hugh Friedman New Lawyer Award 2019
- American Inns of Court, J. Clifford Wallace Chapter, Associate (2015-present)
- California Women Lawyers, Affiliate Governor (2019-2021)
- The Crossroads American Inn of Court of Alexandria-Pineville, Associate (2013-2014)
- Lawyers Club of San Diego: Board of Directors (present), Membership Development Committee Co-chair (present), Women’s Advocacy Committee Co-chair (2018-2019), Law School Outreach Committee Co-chair (2016-2018)
- San Diego County Bar Association, Executive Committee, Member at Large, Labor & Employment Law Section
- San Diego Defense Lawyers
- San Diego Society for Human Resource Management
- State Bar of California
- University of San Diego School of Law (J.D., 2013)
- University of California, Los Angeles (B.A., cum laude, 2009)
- Shannon Finley, “Let’s Talk About Sex[ual Orientation Discrimination]: A Discussion of Recent Developments and Their Nationwide Implications,” Employment Practices Liability Consultant (EPLiC) (Fall, 2018)
- Shannon Finley & Ryan Nell, “The Changing Landscape of California Employment Law: Adapting to the 21st Century Workforce,” 2016 Bender’s Calif. Lab. & Empl. Bull. 207 (June, 2016)
- Shannon Finley, “Whistle (and Tweet) While You Work: Social Media, Networking, and What’s Not Working in the Workplace,” Employment Practices Liability Consultant (EPLiC) (Summer, 2017)
Speaking Engagements +-
- Business & Legal Resources, Inc., “FMLA/CFRA Leave is Exhausted, Now What? How to Avoid Legal Landmines Regarding Temporary Transfers, Fitness-for-Duty Exams, Accommodation Requests, and More” (2019)
- Association of Corporate Counsel Paralegal Program, “Best Hiring Practices” (2018)